A weekly column written by the staff of Discover Wisconsin highlights things to do and see throughout the State of Wisconsin, and is made available for publication to members of the Wisconsin Newspaper Association. The column is accompanied by photos for use in print and online. The Discover Wisconsin logo can be downloaded here.
- Download this column as a Word document
- Download photos that accompany this column
- See other WNA Member Content offerings
Tomah – Wisconsin’s Western Gateway
At the intersection of I-90 and I-94 lies the city of Tomah, Wisconsin. Most of us have probably driven through or past Tomah on road trips, but you’re sure to be surprised by what awaits when you get off the interstate. Here are ten things you can’t miss next time you’re in Tomah!
1. Tomah’s Topography – Being located right at the edge of the Driftless Area means the Tomah region has a little bit of everything in terms of topography. Ridges, valleys and long winding roads are perfect for motorcycling or a scenic drive. And the Tomah area’s country highways lead right into the heart of Wisconsin’s cranberry country, which brings us to #2 on our list…
2. Cranberry Blossom Day – When you think of cranberries, the image that probably comes to mind is of bright, red cranberries floating on top of a marsh ready for harvest. But a visit to Wetherby Cranberry Company in late June for Cranberry Blossom Day gives you a glimpse at the other side of the growing process. Thousands of beautiful blossoms scattered throughout the cranberry marshes is truly a sight to behold.
3. Lake Tomah – Located on the west side of town, Lake Tomah is the perfect place to grab a kayak or a fishing pole and enjoy some time on the water. Ongoing preservation efforts by the DNR and lake committee has left Lake Tomah’s fish population thriving, so don’t miss the Tomah-Warren’s Sportsman’s Alliance annual ice fisheree every February!
4. Tomah Recreation Trail – No matter what kind of outdoor recreation you’re looking for, chances are you can find it along the Tomah Recreation Trail, which takes you past most of Tomah’s beautiful parks, including the aquatic center at Buckley Park and Winnebago Park on the shore of Lake Tomah.
5. Tomah Visitor’s Center – Also found right on the Tomah Recreation Trail is the Tomah Visitor’s Center. Located in a recently renovated 1930s ranger station, it’s a great place to take a quick break and find all kinds of information for planning your Tomah vacation right here.
6. Hiawatha Golf Club – Schedule tee time at one of central Wisconsin’s best-kept golf secrets! It’s convenient location is perfect for those meeting halfway between the Twin Cities and Milwaukee or Chicago, and the gorgeous landscaping will have you coming back again and again.
7. Beer & Sausage Fest – Is there anything more Wisconsin than this? Celebrate two of the things our state does best at the Tomah Rotary Beer & Sausage Fest, where you can sample local brews and enjoy delicious brats and sausages.
8. BP Smokehouse – Whether you’re staying for the weekend or just passing through, BP Smokehouse is a must-stop on any trip to Tomah. Darren Price has been serving up authentic, delicious, Texas-style barbeque since the early 2000s – winning both national and international awards and even making an appearance on the Food Network along the way.
9. Budweiser Dairyland Super National Truck & Tractor Pull – As one of the three biggest truck and tractor pulls in the United States, Tomah’s annual truck and tractor pull draws thousands of people from all over the world. For four days, visitors can take in all the action and power of some of the world’s best pullers.
10. Crazy Daze – Do a little bargain shopping, enjoy a number of fun, family activities and even try out a group fitness class at Tomah’s annual Crazy Daze Festival every August. Spread throughout Gillett Park and downtown Tomah, it’s the perfect event to wind down the summer.
Jennifer Ingish is the series producer for Discover Wisconsin. Born and raised in Milwaukee, Jennifer is a proud UW-Madison graduate and an avid Wisconsin sports fan (Go Pack Go!). Stream Discover Wisconsin online at discoverwisconsin.com or tune in every Saturday morning at 10 on Fox Sports Wisconsin.