More than 40 friends and family members of former newspaper leaders traveled today to Eagle River to honor their loved ones’ contributions to the industry and to their communities. Since 1958, members of the WNA have paid tribute during the annual WNA Foundation Memorial Pylon ceremony to the memory of those who have helped advance journalism in Wisconsin.
Initially, the names of deceased member publishers were printed on press plates and hung from wooden structures. Over time, the names began to fade and, in 2014, a granite monument was erected at the Trees For Tomorrow campus in Eagle River. It consists of five granite pylons and several benches that provide visitors a place to reflect.
The effort is made possible by donor contributions and the sponsorship of the WNA Foundation.
This year’s inductees included:
- Mollyann G. Emerson, Deforest Times-Tribune
- Helen V. Everson, Edgerton Reporter
- Bernadette Ann Friedell, (Shell Lake) Washburn County Register
- Donald W. & Gail Twining Griswold, West Salem Journal
- Patrick S. Korten, (UW-Madison) Badger Herald
- Dolores Ninnemann, Campbellsport News
- Clifton & Shirley Sager, The (Cedar Grove) Villager
- Russell H. Steel, The (Crandon) Forest Republican