The 78th annual National Newspaper Week will recognize the important service of newspapers across the country and their employees. This year’s theme — “Journalism matters. NOW more than ever.” — aims to highlight the important work journalists do on behalf of their communities every day.
The effort is sponsored by Newspaper Association Managers, Inc., a consortium of North American trade associations representing the industry. The 2018 NNW Chair is WNA Executive Director Beth Bennett. This year’s content, which will be used by newspapers nationwide, was produced by WNA members.
Newspapers should plan to mark the week by helping to reinforce the importance of newspapers to their community. Materials are now available for planning purposes and include columns, editorial cartoons and additional resources.
WNA member-produced content includes columns from Dave Zweifel of The (Madison) Capital Times, Matt Geiger of News Publishing Co., Sid Schwartz of The (Janesville) Gazette, and Rusty Cunningham of the La Crosse Tribune, and an editorial cartoon from Phil Hands of the (Madison) Wisconsin State Journal.
Localizing National Newspaper Week
Newspapers are encouraged to localize content and write editorials highlighting the important role their publication plays in the community.
Some ideas for bringing the campaign into your market include hosting a breakfast for advertisers in your community to kick off National Newspaper Week, providing newsroom tours to students from your local school district(s), or encouraging readers to share via social media why journalism matters to them.
Content available to members
Materials, available below and on the National Newspaper Week site, include a newspaper-themed crossword puzzle, an NNW 2018 house ad, and resources for writing about attacks on the media and press freedom in the United States.
If you need any assistance with NNW materials, contact Jordan Schelling, WNA membership & programming specialist.
- Journalism matters because democracy matters by Dave Zweifel
- Community journalism matters because communities matter by Matt Geiger
- Your journalism has never been more important by Rusty Cunningham
- Journalism under attack when needed most by Sid Schwartz
- Journalism matters in your community by Jim Zachary
International Newspaper Carrier Day ads
- Editorials on media attacks
- This is not fake news by Korrie Wenzel
- We’ve been complacent by Judy Patrick
- Time to stand up for a free press: We’re not the enemy by Layne Bruce
- Press Freedom resources
- Stories about press freedom