WNAF Better Newspaper Contest
The Wisconsin Newspaper Association Foundation (WNAF) Better Newspaper Contests offer nearly 60 entry categories among daily and weekly publications. From reporting and photography to ad design and special sections, the WNAF contests are open to all member newspapers that have paid current WNA dues.
2017 WNA Foundation Better Newspaper Contest
The 2017 Better Newspaper Contest contest website is now live! We look forward to seeing your best work from the last year.
Please note, there have been changes to some of the categories and instructions. Be sure to read all directions carefully. New categories include:
- Best Localized National Story
- Best Use of Humor in Advertising
- Best Large Ad
- Best Small Ad
- Best Annual Niche Publication (Advertising)
- Best Ongoing Niche Publication (Advertising)
Contest Deadline and Info
All print and digital entries must have been published between Sept. 1, 2016 and Aug. 31, 2017. Awards will be presented at the annual WNA Convention & Trade Show on April 13, 2018 at the Sheraton Madison Hotel in Madison, Wis. The online entry site will close at midnight on Nov. 13, 2017.
Rules & Eligibility
Contest is open to all WNA full business and associate member newspapers in good standing. (Dues must be paid prior to entering the contest.) Entries must be produced by employees of the newspaper or a direct agent of the newspaper. A direct agent of the newspaper would be a centralized production facility utilized by your newspaper that is not located on your physical premises. Independent advertising agencies are not considered to be direct agents of newspaper, and ads created by such agencies would not qualify for entry.
View the contest Rules and Categories.
Newspapers are placed in the circulation division that corresponds with the information they provided the WNA for the 2016 Statement of Ownership. If you believe you are in the incorrect circulation category — or you don’t see your organization listed, please contact WNA Member Services Director Julia Hunter at Julia.Hunter@wnanews.com.
Entry Fees & Payment
There is a $10 entry fee for each entry. Please send a check with any mail-in entries or complete credit card payment on or before the contest deadline. Make checks payable to the Wisconsin Newspaper Association Foundation.
Please follow these instructions when submitting payment:
1. After you’ve submitted all entries, choose the “Select All” box under “Select Entries to Pay.”
2. You will then have the option to Pay by Check or Pay by Card.
- Contestants wishing to pay by credit card or Paypal should select the “Pay by Card” option. You can still pay via PayPal, but you now have the option to pay via credit card on the site.
- Contestants wishing to pay via check must enter their check number. If this is not available, please type “UNAVAILABLE.”
Most entries require full-page digital tear sheets. Access instructions for working with PDFs here. Don’t have access to a PDF you need? Contact WNA Media Services Director Denise Guttery for access to your digital archive.
1. Upon logging in to the contest site for the first time, you should select your organization and use the password you created last year. If you didn’t create a password last year, but are a contestant manager, your password is “bnc.”
2. If your password is “bnc,” you will be prompted to create a new password and confirm your email address.
- These accounts have been set up to default to the publisher’s email address. If the publisher will not serve as the contestant manager, you can update the email at this point. Be sure whoever is selected as the contest manager coordinates with both the editorial and advertising departments.
3. Upon submitting your second entry, you will receive a confirmation email. This email will go to the address under which the account was set up. If it wasn’t changed upon initial login, it will default to the publisher.
4. After the contestant manager email is confirmed, the contestant manager may add additional “authorized entrants,” who may submit entries on the newspaper’s behalf.
- Instructions on how to add authorized entrants can be found in the Contestant Manager User Guide.
- Newspapers also have the option of sharing the contestant manager’s login information with those responsible for making entries.
5. If authorized entrants are added, they can find information about how to set up their account using the Authorized Entrant User Guide.
Have a question about WNA Foundation contests? Contact the WNA staff at (800) 261-4242.