Contest Deadline & Details
The WNA Foundation’s Better Newspaper Contest recognizes the best work produced by Wisconsin newspapers. Each year, it recognizes excellence in overall newspaper achievements, reporting, writing, photography, multimedia, design and advertising.
- Entries Open: Sept. 7, 2018
- Submission Deadline: Nov. 5, 2018
- Postmark Deadline: Oct. 29, 2018
- Publication period: Sept. 1, 2017 – Aug. 31, 2018
Contest entry portal: www.betternewspapercontest.com/wna
Questions? Check out our FAQ
Still not sure? Contact WNA Membership & Program Specialist Jordan Schelling.
Newspapers compete in the circulation division that corresponds to their 2017 Statement of Ownership. If you believe you are in the incorrect circulation category — or you don’t see your organization listed, please contact us.
Entry Fees & Payment
There is a $10 entry fee for each entry. Please send a check with any mail-in entries or complete credit card payment on or before the contest deadline. Make checks payable to the WNA Foundation. Please follow these instructions when submitting payment:
1. After you’ve submitted all entries, choose the “Select All” box under “Select Entries to Pay.”
2. You will then have the option to Pay by Check or Pay by Card.
- Contestants who require an invoice should select the “Pay by Check” option and type “INVOICE” in the check number box.
Combining, Downsizing & Accessing PDFs
Some categories require full-page digital tear sheets. Access instructions for working with PDFs here. Don’t have access to a PDF you need? Contact WNA Media Services Director Denise Guttery for access to your digital archive.
Contestant Manager Setup
1. Upon logging in to the contest site for the first time, you should select your organization and use the password you created last year. If you didn’t create a password last year, but are a contestant manager, your password is “bnc.”
2. If your password is bnc, create a new password and confirm your email address.
- This field defaults to the publisher’s email address. If the publisher will not serve as contestant manager, please update this field.
- The designated contestant manager will be responsible for overseeing both editorial and advertising entries.
3. Upon submitting your second entry, you will be logged out of the site. Check your inbox for a confirmation email.
4. After confirming your email, you may add additional “authorized entrants” who may submit entries on the newspaper’s behalf.
- Instructions on how to add authorized entrants can be found in the Contestant Manager User Guide.
- Newspapers also have the option of sharing the contestant manager’s login information with those responsible for making entries.
5. If authorized entrants are added, they can find information about how to set up their account using the Authorized Entrant User Guide