The Vilas County News-Review in Eagle River, Wis., is seeking an assistant editor/editor trainee for our award-winning, large-weekly community newspaper. We publish the Vilas County News-Review and The Three Lakes News in scenic northern Wisconsin. Eagle River is the county seat situated on a navigable Chain of 28 Lakes, near vast public forests and home to the World Championship Snowmobile Derby and the Wisconsin Hockey Hall of Fame.
The assistant editor will report on area communities in Vilas County and northeastern Oneida County. The position is designed to allow possible advancement to the editor position in two to three years.
- Covering municipal boards, schools, courts, community events and other news of interest in our readership area through reporting, photography and writing. There also will be coverage of some high school sports and outdoors.
- Assist the editor in producing the news and community pages each week, including layout, design, writing headlines and cutlines, and photo selection. The assistant editor also will be involved in the production of several special sections during the year.
The successful candidate will have at least five years’ experience, a degree in journalism, communications or a related field, or a combination of experience and education that meets the requirements, as well as demonstrated proficiency in:
- Communication skills
- Reporting, writing and editing skills
- Photography skills
- Page layout and design skills
- Computer and social media skills
We offer a full package of benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, 401k and paid time off. The Vilas County News-Review is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, email your resume, cover letter and references to: