The Post-Crescent in Appleton, Wisconsin, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a high-energy reporter to cover health and science in a way that is engaging and accessible to readers. Like the weather in Wisconsin, this job requires a reporter who can turn on the dime, explaining the science behind polar vortexes one day and why immunizations are a public health concern the next.
It will also take someone who can translate jargon into essential information for busy readers who just want to know how to protect their kids from the flu. It also might mean telling the story in a video one day and a long-form story the next.
Though this position is based in Appleton, Wisconsin, the reporter will be responsible for tracking health and science throughout the state and report across the ten network newsrooms in central and northeastern Wisconsin, including the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Sheboygan Press and Wausau Daily Herald.
The right reporter will seek out great local, regional and statewide stories from all parts of Wisconsin and be prepared to collaborate with journalists across all USA TODAY NETWORK newsrooms in Wisconsin and beyond.
- Contribute to urgent coverage of health and science issues.
- Provide deep-dive explanatory and watchdog stories on health and science and other important issues for communities.
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience. We will also consider candidates with strong internships.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Able to work occasional late nights as needed by the news cycle.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 5-10 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.