The DeForest Times-Tribune seeks a managing editor for our local community newspaper. We are a part of APG Media of Southern Wisconsin, publisher of two daily and ten community newspapers in beautiful southern Wisconsin, just minutes from downtown Madison, the state capital and home of University of Wisconsin. APG is one of the fastest growing media companies in the US.
This position serves as the managing editor for this growing newspaper serving two communities and the surrounding area, just north of Madison.
- Cover local news, including governmental bodies, meetings, community events, police, crime, courts and feature stories through reporting, writing, editing and photography/video.
- Supervise staff reporter, coordinate with regional sports editor, as well as freelance reporters and columnists for additional coverage.
- Produce the news pages each week using InDesign and PhotoShop software, including layout, design, writing headlines and cutlines, photo editing, and pagination.
- Be the face of the newspaper in the community.
- Augment coverage and promote the newspaper through effective use of social media.
- Manage the office administrative requirements.
The successful candidate will have at least two years’ related experience, a degree in journalism, communications, or a related field, or a combination of experience and education that meets the requirements, as well as demonstrated proficiency in:
- Exemplary people skills
- Reporting, writing, and editing skills
- Photography skills (35mm digital)
- Page layout and design experience with InDesign and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office products
The DeForest Times-Tribune serves our audience through print newspapers, websites, feature sections and specialty magazines, and is part of Adams Publishing Group, which offers a full package of benefits.
To apply, email your resume, cover letter and references to:
Chris Mertes, Executive Editor
Equal Opportunity Employer